Soh Rui Yong
Road: 15km, 20km, Half Marathon, Marathon
Soh Rui Yong is Singapore’s national long-distance runner. With countless medals including two SEA Games gold medals under his belt, Rui Yong made history in March 2019 when he broke the national marathon record after finishing Seoul Marathon in 2:23:42. Earlier in January, Rui Yong also set a new half marathon national record of 66:46 at the 2019 Aramco Houston Half Marathon. He now holds the national records in the 10,000m, 15km, 20km, half marathon and full marathon!
Besides a demanding training schedule, Rui Yong works full time at a lifestyle portal called The Smart Local. Prior to this, he worked at Sports Singapore helping to develop the nation’s national coaching staff.
Q&A With Soh Rui Yong
1. How did you get involved in running?
2. Who is your all time inspirational athlete and why?
3. What has been your greatest achievement in running?
4. What is your biggest motivation to keep pushing your limits of performance?
5. What are your aspirations in running for 2019 and beyond?
6. What advice do you have for someone who is considering taking up running seriously?
7. What are your top three nutrition tips?
- Lots of isotonic drinks to keep hydrated
- Lots of protein, carbs and fruits to rebuild after hard training sessions and keep the body healthy.
- Load up on Beet It Sport! Beetroot juice prior to hard training sessions or competition in order to bring out your very best!
8. What are your top three training tips?
- Train hard
- Train smart
- Train with a group of motivated friends to keep the sessions fun.